Saturday, October 10, 2015

A High Tolerance for Ambiguity, I Think, Maybe:



I (hm) have been reading a couple of books on cross-cultural ministry. Kathy is reading a book, on the subject, I have already read. (see below) Some veteran missionaries recommended all three.
It seems that a common element in all three books is to identify some element of difference in various cultures, and then set up a scale. Is this culture more this way, or that way? One of the authors, 

Sherwood Lingenfelter (Kathy is reading his book), does a good job in reminding us that cultures are not monolithic. None of us fit perfectly in the culture where we spend most of our time. In reading James Plueddemann's book I observed a couple of ways that I don't quite fit in with the low-context trait of many of my country-persons.  High context oriented people tend to value relationships over tasks.  Donald Trump's famous "You're fired!" line is  perhaps the pinnacle of low-context, if such a mixing of metaphors is possible.  I on the other hand have a tendency to hang-in-there with folk past the point where some of my colleagues think I should let the non-performer go.  In their view the project, ministry, or goal is more important than the relationship.  So all that to day that I'm a bit more high-context than the broad North American culture.

But I digress.  (If you start with a digression, is it really a digression?  Now I'm digressing from my digression.)



The scale Plueddemann identifies that I want to comment on is, Tolerance for Ambiguity.  My culture, especially the executive/management subculture has a very low tolerance for ambiguity.  Folk in this realm, and senior pastors--the role I have filled most of my life--are supposed to be among them, thrive on measurable goals, six-month and five-year plans, vision statements, mission statements, accountability, etc.  I, on the other hand, have often described my style as "muddling."  Figure out what direction one is going and try to take steps, ad-hoc, as they come up, in that direction.  As I read the book that is supposed to be telling me about those who are different than I am, I found out an important truth about me.  I have a pretty high tolerance for ambiguity.

  • I tend not to plan days off.  I'd rather just let them happen.
  • Vacations, beyond answering the big questions--where will be go? will we drive or fly? etc. tend to be the same.
  • I tried to work with a preaching schedule, but it was not nearly as detailed or far-reaching as many of colleagues, and it is was always subject to change.
The virtue--and clearly there are vices, as well--of a willingness to tolerate uncertainty is that life is uncertain.  Unless we live totally without plans, our program will be interrupted by death or the Lord's return.  We high tolerance for ambiguity types take great comfort from James 4:13-16.


   “Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.” Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.” But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil.” (James 4:13–16, NASB95)  

"Amen!" James, "Preach it to those arrogant goal-setters"

I actually think my counter-cultural (counter to my culture) trait is helpful at this point.  This winter when I'm in Palau the success or failure of what Kathy and I are trying to do depends on a lot of factors, most of which are out of my control.

So let me finish with some prayer requests:

  • Pray that plans will be made at the right time, by the right people, with the right outcomes in mind.
  • Pray that we will be flexible.  We need to trust God.  As James points out, He is sovereign.
  • Yet, yet pray that we will continue to move in right direction.  Pray that we will muddle effectively.
  • Kathy fits better with our North American culture than I do.  Her tolerance for ambiguity is lower than mine, and her role in this venture is less defined than mine.  I think you can see the prayer request there.
  • In a couple of weeks the leaders of the Palauan Evangelical Church will be meeting.  Our ministry in Palau will be on their agenda.  Pray for them.
  • Two more, not related to the rest of this post:
    We are in the process of sending out letters, seeking prayer and financial support.
    We are working toward--since I am involved, "muddling toward"--being ready to leave in January.  
Thanks, it would encourage us to know that you are praying for us.  Let us know how we can pray for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Christians-Global-Mission-American/dp/0830837809

http://www.amazon.com/Ministering-Cross-Culturally-Incarnational-Personal-Relationships/dp/0801026474


No comments:

Post a Comment