Friday, April 7, 2017

It Takes A Team

Kathy and I are in our fourth month of this round of ministry. More than the other opportunities we have had to serve in what we used to call the "mission field," this tour of duty has involved a great deal of teamwork. In fact one could almost say that we, Kathy and I, aren't doing much of anything. We are helping others do a lot.
Some days I'll spend a couple of hours writing a fairly simple letter. I don't think it's because I'm getting old. It's because the "team" with which I work is far-flung and varied. Some who partner with us, or are potential partners, are, for one reason or another, on the fringe of our circle. A wrong word could move them out of the circle, a well-chosen word might pull them toward the center. Sometimes the letter goes to more than one person; each of them has their own set of sensitivities, their own history, and concern. I can be the "tie that binds"--as in "Blessed be . . ."--or I can be wind that scatters.
I spend a good bit of time in meetings. Collaboration, consensus, and working-together is the order of most days.
Even the things I do on my own, often have the goal of encouraging, motivating, or equipping others. One person cannot do this by him or herself. Even a bunch of people all working side by side, but disconnected, won't get the task accomplished.
Providing education to the underserved communities in Micronesia requires a variety of skills. Those skills are packaged in a multitude of different personalities, and each of us changes from day to day as our life-circumstances, and those of the people around us evolve from one thing to the next.
Teamwork.
I just read a blog post about how many churches in their strategies only want to support a particular kind of ministry, and missionary. The author, a missionary herself, working with TCKs (third culture kids) clearly and skillfully points out that those ministries that church mission committees often consider to be front-line, where the work really gets done, and worthy of support, can't function without a whole bunch of other servants who serve in less glamorous (by mission-strategy standards) roles.
I praise the Lord for those 21st Century Livingstones, Taylors, and Slussors, who plunge in alone and get the job done. But I am thankful to be part of a team, that is making a difference in this part of the world. In a few weeks, we'll turn a batch of graduates lose. They'll do God's work in various ways. Some of them will do so with distinction. At some point, someone may ask one of them, "How is it that you are able to that? Who taught you?"
Likely they will reply with the name of some favorite teacher who had particular impact, but the true answer is, "We did." We working as a team, from the guy who mows the grass on campus to the administrators who make decisions. Pacific Islands University is a team.
I think most mission work is that--a team.
Some of you who read this are an important part of Kathy and my team. You pray for us and support us. Thank you very much. We are proud to have you on our team.

No comments:

Post a Comment