Friday, January 19, 2018

A Missionary Saturday

What do missionaries do on a Saturday morning?
Missionaries are a varied lot, so nothing applies to all of us--well, Jesus loves us, so almost nothing.
This morning, I spent my Saturday morning a lot like the way many of you spend your "day off." There is a project that's been on the "Honey Do" list for a while now. Our lovely little apartment has limited storage. When we have company, like we do right now, it can be hard to find a place for everything. We decided a while back that a shclf above and to the side of the door would be useful. Yesterday I was at the building supply store, I saw what I thought would work, called Kathy for a measurement and came home with the materials. The first two hours of my day were devoted to
getting it installed. I think it will really help, and I earned points. : )
Our maintenance staff here at PIU is stretched thin, so I try to help out with mowing. I walk several days a week, anyhow, so on the days when I mow I do my exercise behind a mower. Since "our yard" is right next to the campus entrance, I figure it is also part of my public relations responsibilities. No doubt some millionaire will drive by, be impressed, and write us a big check. One can always hope. Bottom line, I figure being a good steward in an institution like ours, where we can't afford to do big things, means being faithful in doing little things.
After I finish writing this, I'll do something I did probably a thousand Saturdays in my life--I'm preaching tomorrow in a local church, and then on Tuesday in chapel--sermon prep is on the agenda.
Kathy's been cleaning up the mess I made hanging the shelf, doing some other cleaning, and organizing some paper-work. Wherever in the world, whatever title one has, a woman's work is never done.
A fellow missionary, Alex, lives over near the shop where the lawn equipment is stored. He was out doing some adjustment on one of his kid's bicycle--a Christmas present from grandparents. Don't forget missionaries have families. You know those pressures that sometimes make family hard for you? We deal with those, too, plus some other heavy things that are unique to folk who leave home and go somewhere where things are different than what they are used to.
To get back to my point, though, the missionaries here on the PIU campus are spending their Saturday, much like you will when you get up on Saturday morning a few hours from now. There is one other similarity. I mow grass and do household maintenance, just like you. My friend fixes bikes for his kids, just like dads all over the world. Missionary wives and moms are first wives and moms; like women all over the world in those roles they make life so much better for us all. In addition, just like you, we have to work hard to obey the Scripture, "Be anxious for nothing . . . pray." As I put pressure on the drill to bore into the block wall, as I walked up and down, and back and forth behind the mower, as I drug palm fronds away, and pulled weeds from a rock-garden out front, I had to fight the urge to worry. As you know, college administration is not what I've done all my life. When I stepped into this role I was aware that the possibility of failure was very real. I regularly read about institutions much bigger and better-funded , and with presidents more capable than Pacific Islands, shutting their doors. We just began a new semester. As my predecessor reminds me, that always brings new hope. Except when I let worry take hold.
For the year I've been here, we've been like the rebels (the good guys) in the new Star Wars movie. A large part of our strategy has been to stay just out of reach of the forces of doom that are chasing us hard. I take pleasure, and generally draw hope from the fact that we are still out in front.
Scripture tells us to pray instead of worry, so let me close this by asking you to pray for something specific. Pray for the accrediting reaffirmation that is upon us.
If we are going to make it and continue into the future, we need to maintain our status as an accredited institution. We are beginning the process that will lead to the reaffirmation of our accreditation. This time, and one more will make twice that I've led a school through a major accrediting project, but I have talked to enough people who have, and I've read and heard enough about what we have to do, to know it's a lot like the Great Tribulation. Plus, we have to pay a bunch of money for the privilege of enduring the affliction. "What if"s, and "I don't know if can"s pulsate in my head nearly as rapidly as the firing of the spark plug on the mower. Doubts spring up as fast and as plentifully as weeds in the tropical earth. I can't imagine worse timing. Don't we already have enough to deal with? Pray for me to be able to guide the team through this process. Pray for us to work well together. Pray that we will have the resources we need to complete the self-study, to pay the fees, host the accreditation team, etc.. Pray that we'll find ways to address the deficiencies we will find as we do our self-study, and hear from our auditors. Pray that God's will will be done.

Thanks for spending a few minutes with me on Saturday. I pray that you will have a great Lord's Day, tomorrow.

By His Grace,
Howard (for Kathy, too)

No comments:

Post a Comment