Tuesday, February 6, 2024

January Ministry Report:

Ministry Update from Howard and Kathy Merrell:

There are several things I need to share with you. You, through your prayers, support and encouragement have a part in what we are doing. We are thankful.

December and January have been a busy two months:

·       Preparation for ministry in Zambia.

·       Christmas Service at Woodland Church, where I serve as interim pastor and Kathy plays piano.

·       Christmas week with family in South Carolina.

·       January 1-17, Africa, more below.

·       Catching up, routine medical appointments, and regular ministry schedule.

It is a privilege to serve. Thanks for making it possible.

Zambia:
My main purpose in going to Zambia was to visit, encourage and check up on our LMUSA personnel


there and minister in ways that are helpful to what they are doing. I was in three locations of this lovely country.



Amano Christian School, Chingola Zambia:
We have two families who serve with LMUSA who are integral members of the ACS team. Martin and Jovita Pflaum and Aaron and Andrea Anderson. I actually arrived in Zambia on the same plane as the Pflaums. They were returning from a furlough in the USA and Germany.
In Zambia the school year starts in January. ACS holds a staff retreat right before the start of the new school year. I was privileged to be the spiritual life speaker of the on campus gathering. The two sessions centered on attitude—specifically the


Christ attitude--from the book of Philippians. I interacted not only with the LMUSA personnel but with a number of staff members. I was hoping to also meet the students and interact with them. Unfortunately, the start of all the schools in Zambia was delayed because of a cholera outbreak, mainly in the Capital, Lusaka. The delayed start date was supposed to be yesterday, but the authorities have declared another two-week delay. Pray for the staff there. They are doing online education.
ACS is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to use teaching interest and education for the Lord. Look at their website, or get in touch with me. I’ll introduce you to the right people. ACS is one of the better schools in Zambia. The opportunity to impact the nation for Christ is there. (The picture is the guest house where I stayed.)

From ACS I traveled to Kitwe, where Francis and Beatrice Manana are involved with Center for Christian Ministry University. I was privileged to be the “mule” for transporting about two suitcases full of computer parts that the school can use. I enjoyed my time in the Manana’s home. Francis and Beatrice are examples of the “internationality” of missions. They are Ugandans. They served several years in church work near Washington DC and now are helping to raise up leaders in Zambia.

From there I went to Ndola, where I was the speaker at the Zambia Baptist Association’s Leaders Conference. The theme of the conference was, “Why Am I Hear?”—why am I in this position of leadership. In seven messages and one Q&A, we explored that question. I thought we connected well. Thanks, Kathy, for your support in helping me prepare. Eight sessions in two days was a lot. I was aware of and encouraged by your prayers. Thank you!


Here are most of the attendees at the ZBA conference. They are holding their gift copies of Paul Seger's book on leadership. Thanks, Paul.



After the conference I stayed at the Liebenzell Guest House, Brita and H. P. Hertler, Africa field leader for LM Germany, took good care of me. H. P. gave me a ride to Luanshya Baptist Church, where I had my last ministry opportunity of the trip.




Thanks for helping us serve. Check our
missions blog for more pictures.

It is a privilege to partner with you,
H&K


More pictures:


















No comments:

Post a Comment