Friday, October 21, 2016

All The Nations

Dear, Howard

I'm always humbled and thankful when I look through the report of those who partner with us in this venture.  I'm close to half way through a short stint in Palau, teaching the classroom part of a Marriage and Family class.  Last week I was in Germany.  I think it was while I was there that we received our latest "donor report."  I bought some post cards in Germany, and I just wrote messages on, and addressed them this morning.  So if you are one of those on the latest report, you should receive a truly international piece of mail.  Germany/Palau/USA.  Fortunately, postage from Palau to the US is quite reasonable.  The international flavor of the mail is appropriate.  Monday, in Palau, the nation celebrates United Nations Day.  The Kindergarten that the church, here, runs held an International programthis morning.  Their student body has representatives from Canada, China, Korea, Philippine Islands, Japan, and Palau.  The pictures don't do the event justice, but you can tell it was cute.  The event included a variety of foods from the nations represented.  It was good.

When Kathy does the Thank You correspondence it is always neat and legible.  Mine, not so much.  I do try to be personal, though, as I jot a quick note. For that reason the messages vary from card to card.  I thought I'd list the themes that were represented in this morning's batch of Thank Yous.  
  • On several cards I asked about matters in your life.  Kathy and I pray for you.  If I forgot, or if there is something going on in your life that we don't know about, please let us know.
  • On a couple of the cards I hinted at difficulty.  If this were easy the task of reaching the world and discipling saints would have been done long ago.  Missions is a bunch of imperfect servants, using flawed systems, to reach out to sinful people who are stuck in their non-Biblical way of life, and all of that is going on in the world where Satan holds power.  It is a wonder anything gets done.  I am very aware of my deficiencies.  Yet I am convinced that we need to keep going another round.  I told several of you that "If something is worth doing it is worth doing badly."  What I mean by that--and neither the saying nor the thought are original with me--is that some things must be done.  Do the best you can, but even if your efforts fall far short, don't quit.  Keep on going, try to do better.
  • That explains--somewhat--the horrendous itinerary I have had lately--that and United Airlines's pricing structure..   Last week I was in Germany.  Dave Owen, President of PIU and fellow LMUSA missionary were sent there by LMUSA to talk strategy for work in Micronesia.  It is an ongoing conversation, but the early, and clear consensus is that in some way--or ways--our focus needs to be on leadership development.  That's what I'm doing in Palau these two weeks.  I flew from Frankfurt to Dulles on Friday, then left early Saturday for Palau, by way of Hawaii and Guam. With all the time zones I crossed--something like 19, plus the International Date Line, I wasn't even sure what day it was, much less what time when I got here.  I'm teaching the classroom part of a marriage and Family class, and having various impromptu conversations with Palauan church leaders about leadership development.  It's frustratingly slow, but it is absolutely needed.  BTW, though my class is small, it is going well.
One more thing about this internationally flavored communique.  While I'm in Palau, I'm the guest of Anne and Steve Stinnette, who are preparing the first missionaries from Palau Evangelical Church to go the nations.  Nando and Magrena are headed to Indonesia early in 2017.  Pray for them.

Again, Kathy and I offer our sincere thanks for your partnership with us in prayer and giving.  Jesus sent us to all the nations of the world.  whether it is next door, or around the world, go do something for the cause, 'cause it's a good cause the only one that one that matters.

Howard for both K & H


 

No comments:

Post a Comment