Thursday, November 14, 2019

Part 2 of my "Big Trip" Report:


I got to ride my bike once, a rare treat, and enjoyed the Fall leaves and weather. I had a couple of meals with some good friends. “We wish Kathy were here,” was the frequent comment, to which I replied, “Amen!” Even though Kathy wasn't physically present, she is always on my heart, so here's a picture of her with some other guys, but not me.

On Wednesday evening, I was able to share about PIU to a joint meeting of Faith Baptist Church, and my home church, Covington Bible. For many years I attended a Thursday morning pastor’s get together at McDonald’s. It was a privilege to join some of my old friends and a new one, for coffee, McFood, and great fellowship.
I figure I should write up a report of my trip, thus far, before the details fade from memory.
I already shared part 1 of my diary, Guam to Atlanta, so I’ll go on from there. As I said in that post, this trip is mostly business, but I was able to blend in some family time, and even a bit of fun time.
After my delightful visit with Sue Rector, I continued by car to Greenville SC. My granddaughter Madeline is a student at North Greenville University. I met her for supper in the touristy town of Traveler’s Rest. Maddie appears to be thriving at NGU. NGU is a Christian school, Maddie has good friends. Maddie bought our old Honda a while back. I’m glad to say that the Civic is continuing its habit of regular attendance at church parking lots. Actually, there is a group of girls that travel to church together and then talk over the sermon while they eat. I’ll tell you, that brought a smile to this grandpa’s face. Maddie and I enjoyed our time together so much that neither of us thought of taking a picture.
My late father would never admit to being lost. He just “didn’t know where he was and didn’t know how to get to where he wanted to be. My first 2 rental cars--I was on my second one at this point, a little, red, brand new Hyundai Accent—didn’t have GPS. Since my smartphone doesn’t work in the mainland US I could only use it’s GPS if I loaded the map while I was in a wifi zone. Like the picture, I didn’t think about it, and Maddie and I were both confident that “that-a-way” would be the right way. I was reminded that there is a whole lot of nothing but mountains and trees around Greenville SC. I finally made my way back to the interstate, but I was 25 miles behind where I had turned off when turned to meet Maddie. (For some of you, who wonder if I'm losing it, I offer this defense. I drove around Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Newark, and all around Los Angeles on this trip. This was my only lost moment.) My arrival at son, Chad’s house was later than expected. Fortunately, they weren’t expecting me for a meal.


I really enjoyed my time with Tanisha, Chad, Kendal and Ava. A highlight of my time there was attendance at North Rock Hill Church, where Chad is lead pastor. Previous to my plans, Chad had scheduled his brother, Chris to speak. So I was at the church Chad pastors listening to Chris speak. You can watch the video here. It had been a long time since I had eaten venison. Chad had killed a little buck with his bow, and grilled some for me. Excellent!
Ava and I continued a "Papa tradition," a doughnut run. Krispy Kreme had some special Holloween doughnuts. Here is one of Ava's picks. 
While I was in SC, I took a trip down to Columbia. I had an enjoyable visit with Dr. Markus Klausli at Columbia International University. We share several overlapping interests and friendships. PIU and CIU have partnered together in significant ways. I want to keep that relationship alive. I was sad that Dr. Joe LeTexia wasn't able to meet with me. His mom died suddenly just before my visit. She is in heaven, but death is always hard. Pray for Joe and his family.
Speaking of partners, I shared lunch and had a delightful visit with Stephen Bradley. Steve may be PIU's #1 prayer warrior. I'm glad to report that though his stroke of several years ago has taken a toll, Steve is still sharp and bright. His smile s a good indicator of his state. Time with Steve is always a joy.

I Made my way north into North Carolina. I was an overnight guest in the home of Jill and David Mayer, Chapel Hill. David is PIU's Chairman of the Board. Our time together was short but productive.
I spent 2 nights in my bed in Covington, 10/29&30. I got to ride my bike once, a rare treat, and I enjoyed the Fall leaves and weather. I had a couple of meals with some good friends. “We wish Kathy were here,” was the frequent comment, to which I replied, “Amen!” She was busy hanging out with younger men and spending time on the beach. I hasten to add, that is not exactly correct. Kathy has been working very hard. 
On Wednesday evening, I was able to share about PIU to a joint meeting of Faith Baptist Church, and my home church, Covington Bible. Both churches are

supporters of PIU. For many years I attended a Thursday morning pastors' get together at McDonald’s. It was a privilege to join some of my old friends, and a new one, for coffee, McFood, and great fellowship.

I had a list of items to pick up for Kathy. I think I got them all. I packed up and headed north to Shenandoah WV, where I spent the night with Van & Janet Marsceau. Our time was short, but precious. Van is Kathy’s brother and the Lead Pastor of Fellowship Bible Church.

Liebenzell Mission of USA held its Board meeting November 1&2. I was able to meet with some of our ministry colleagues, give a report about the ministry of PIU to Board members and friends of the mission, and meet the new Interim Director, Dr. Chris Mathews. There was frost on the ground when I left Schooley’s Mountain, NJ, to drive to Newark for my flight to Los Angeles.

My time in LA was the main reason for this trip. I took the shuttle from LAX to the car rental place, picked up my 3rd car, and drove to our hotel in Garden Grove, just down the road from Mickey Mouse.  After chilling a while I picked up Nino, PIU’s VP for Administration and Finance, at John Wayne Airport. You’ll be glad to know I resisted swaggering as I walked in. The next morning Nino and I appeared before the TRACS (Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools. I gave my “5 minute speech,” we answered a couple of questions, then, after one of the commissioners led in prayer, we stepped out so the Commission could deliberate.

We barely had time to sit down before we were ushered back in to hear the word we had prayed for, for months. TRACS granted us a 10-year renewal of our accreditation.
I had made known before we left Guam that when we got the good news, Nino and I were going to celebrate. There was a book in our hotel room that had pictures of various tourist attractions in the area. I saw a couple of pictures of Mission San Juan Capistrano, about 45 minutes away. Especially since Nino’s home, the Philippines, and California share the Spanish Colonial heritage, we decided this looked interesting. It was a good choice. I’ll tell about our visit in another post. We also enjoyed a nice meal, and got to see some Southern California country—mostly, though, I saw traffic.


The TRACS Conference was good, but definitely an anti-climax. Something surprised me. I’ve now been in this role long enough that I have a network of acquaintances, even some friends, in this network. I grew up hearing old-timers talk about the school of hard-knocks. When it comes to educational administration, that is where I have received my education. Some of these folk, Drumm McNaughten, Tanmay Pramnkik, Martin Ramsay, and some others whose faces I can see, but whose names I can’t recall at the moment, have provided encouragement and opportunity for this old preacher turned university president. I am continually impressed with networks. I don’t think that 21st Century word is all that different from certain aspects of Biblical fellowship, but, again, that’s the subject for another post.

It's also, way past time to put an end to this post, save the rest for part 3 and maybe even #4.
I have been, and am aware—as I sit in my room in the Republic of Marshall Islands—and appreciative of the prayer that has been offered on my behalf, and for Kathy, holding things down back on Guam. We’ll be back together, November 25. It will be a special Thanksgiving. I am, right now, and I will be on November 28, giving thanks for you. 

Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment