Saturday, November 23, 2019

Part 4, and I'm still not done.


I really had to fight covetousness as I was on the Columbia International, and Biola campuses. The picture above is of the circular skylight that is in the center Biola's incredible library building. I heard Biola had just spent $48M on a new building. CIU, is spending $44M on campus expansion and improvements. It kind of makes our $200,000 DDOMF, look tiny. In reality, ours is as important as theirs. We are called to be faithful. We need God's light all around the world. 


I begin by backtracking just a bit. It'll help me make a point later in this post.
On my way from L.A. to Majuro, RMI, I had a layover of about eight hours in Hawaii. Originally, I had planned to check into a hotel for that time, but we were held up on the tarmac for a few minutes
before deplaning. I'm thinking, "OK, say 45 minutes to get a shuttle and get to a hotel. 15 minutes to check in. Shuttle back, and then I have to go through security check again. Hotels are a bit pricy in the Aloha state, and my sleep pattern had been jerked through enough time zones that I wasn't sure I would sleep even after I got to a bed, so I decided I'd just spend the night in the airport. After trying a couple of spots that gave no comfort, I wandered to the departure lounge from which UA 154, the "Island Hopper" would depart. No one was there. I arranged myself in a seat, used my carry-on as an ottoman, and went to sleep. I woke up an hour and a half later cold from the AC, and bugged by the two loud Island music. (The picture is of a lovely courtyard, near the lounge where I spent the night, koi, ducks, waterfall, etc.I discovered that someone had locked the door to the lounge while I was sleeping, but I had water, bathroom, and more music than I wanted, so I wasn't concerned. I found a new trash bag in the restroom--don't worry I put it back--which blocked the cold, and proceeded to sleep another 2 or 3 hours. I awoke not long before a maintenance person came in, thus letting me out. I enjoyed breakfast at Burger King, cleaned up and shaved in the Men's Room, and reported back to the lounge where I had spent the night.

If you fly very much you can tell when something isn't going right before you know what's wrong. I got that feeling. Sure enough, the announcement came. We were missing a crew member. After several standard announcements of departure times that no one really believed. The real one came, "2:00 PM."
Before that final announcement, United brought out the snack cart, water granola bars, etc. Lacking was what I really wanted, a cup of coffee. The lady in charge wandered over toward my area, so I asked, when was United going to bring in the coffee pot. Her answer was something like, "Don't hold your breath, but I sure would like a cup." Obviously, I had nowhere to go, and  Starbucks was just down the way, so I headed out. Kristen is a nice gal. She was doing her best to make the best of a bad
situation so I thought, "Why not?" So, instead of one large, black coffee, I got two. Since I didn't know how United's woman on the job liked her coffee, I loaded up on stuff and returned to the lounge. She kept asking me, "Are you serious?" After about 4 replies that I was, she accepted the life-restoring cup. The shirt I had on has Isaiah 40:31 on it.


(Island Hopper route)


      "but those who hope in the LORD 
         will renew their strength. 
         They will soar on wings like eagles; 
         they will run and not grow weary, 
         they will walk and not be faint."

It turns out Kristen believes that too.

You need to know about the "Island Hopper." Do a search and you'll find descriptions, pictures and stories. I'll just say this flight is to several Micronesian--emphasis on "micro"--communities what the old trains were to rural communities before automobiles--a lifeline. The plane lands in Majuro and Kwajalein in the Marshalls, and Kosrae, Pohnpei, and Chuuk, in the Federated States of Micronesia, before ending in Guam. Starting at 2:00 doesn't give time to complete the route. I don't know for sure, but I think United doesn't want land in these tiny airports with short runaways after dark. So those of us going as far as the Marshalls would go on this flight. Those going to Chuuk would spend the night in Hawaii and then fly to Guam and backtrack to Chuuk. Some were going to be put hotels in the Majuro before going on the next day. Everyone got meal vouchers. Personnel got overtime. I found myself wondering, "How much did one person's absence end up costing?"  I hope it was for a good reason.

It is important to be where you should be when you should be. This trip was an attempt, on my part, to do just that. Relationships are incredibly important. As we approach the Christmas season, let's remember that Jesus didn't send us a text. He came to us and became one of us. Holy Spirit remains with and in us. If I'm going to do His business, presence is important.

The change to my plans was minor, a lunch meeting was delayed from one day to the next. I couldn't help thinking that the delay meant I could have had time for a good night's sleep and a nice shower, but that's hindsight.

Next time I go on one of these trips I need to take a photographer. I keep forgetting. I didn't take any pictures in the Marshalls. Several people I would liked to have seen were not on Majuro, and, with the flight delay, my time was reduced to essentially one day there.
On Friday, November 16, I had lunch with some church leaders. They are concerned about training a new generation of leaders. So am I. Perhaps we can work together. Again, I want PIU to be where it should be when it should be. If the opportunity arises, I want us to be ready.

The flight Saturday landed in Kwajalein and Kosrae, before Pohnpei where I got off.
In Pohnpei I was able to stay in the guest house owned by the church group there. It was old-school
missionary living. My host, who lives in the apartment above where I stayed showed me some of the sights of the beautiful island and was kind to me in many ways. A flat tire added to the old-school character of this part of the trip. The picture is of my host, Petra with one of the students at the preschool she runs.

Monday, November 18, I was privileged to visit two Christian high schools on Pohnpei.
Calvary Christian Academy is operated by Calvary Baptist Church. I was able to take one class period and talk about 20 seniors. They listened well. Big thanks to Principle Virginia John for allowing me to come by.


In the evening I was able to stop by OHWA School. It is a boarding school operated by the United Church of Christ, Pohnpei. Two staff people, Verl and David, pulled together an assembly of the students before supper. Thanks. Again the students listened well.

I received a good number of requests for more information. Many thanks to my host, here in Pohnpei, Petra Scheerle. She has not only allowed me to stay in the guest apartment, but has provided me with transportation and a tour of this lovely island.

My trip to Chuuk was good. I haven't achieved Gold status with United yet,
but I am high enough in the point total that I sometimes receive an upgrade to First Class. I scored between Pohnpei and Chuuk. No meal, but a nice seat with plenty of legroom and coffee in a real cup with the offer, accepted of course, of a refill.

After I arrived, due to my own negligence, things took a bad turn. I've told you that this is the longest, most complex trip I've ever taken. If I say so myself, I did a pretty good job of getting everything arranged, until the day I arrived in Chuuk. I had thought several times that I should go online and  book a hotel in Chuuk. When I thought of it, it wasn't a convenient time, so I just never got around to it. There are 4 of 5 hotels in Weno so I figured, "I'll just get room when I get here."
Wrong!
I found out there is a big military exercise going on, plus the FSM Congress is meeting here next week, so every hotel I contacted was full. I got in touch with some friends. One of whom pulled some strings, or perhaps twisted an arm, and I didn't have to sleep in a parking lot. I don't think Chuuk has a bridge one could sleep under.
In addition to the value of friends and vastness of my stupidity, I was impressed with something else--the need to pray. I was wracking my brain thinking of whom to contact and running all kinds of schemes through my gray matter, when I realized I hadn't prayed. Just a couple of minutes after I realized my oversight, a friend who was helping me messaged me: "Pray, the Lord has something." Indeed He did. A few minutes later the friend who helped me out showed up with the solution in hand. Usually, the Lord uses one of his servants to send the answer.
Before I went to bed--thankful to have one--I read this verse that was part of my devotions:

      "God is our refuge and strength, 
         an ever-present help in trouble." (Ps 46:1)

After not spending the night in the rain, I stopped by to see another school administrator who got started in the business later in life (though not as late as me). Cathy and I had a good time--at least I did--sharing experiences and exploring how we can work together for God's glory.

God has His people--some of us unlikely candidates--in the right place, if we'll obey, and at the right time, if we'll pay attention, to do what He wants to get done. Whether I'm in Texas, Virginia, New Jersey, California, or Chuuk, I'm trying to be that person. I hope this will encourage you to do the same.

I had a lovely dinner with the leaders of a partner church, again, talking about how we could work together more effectively. I was privileged to speak in chapel at Berea High School, where Cathy Samuel is principal. Afterward, she and her husband, Repeat Samuel, a Chuuk State Judge, took me out for lunch. I learned a lot.
I plan to attend Berea Church tomorrow, then on Monday, I travel back to Guam and Kathy. Though it has been hard to be apart, Kathy is where she should be, as well. Here is a cute video of her and some of the PIU ladies. Please know that Kathy uses the word "raid" metaphorically. We definitely don't allow that. I do suspect some cookies were shared.



I usually don't do fundraising on this blog, but the theme of the blog lends itself to that. 
Kathy, I, and the rest of the PIU staff are where we are because we believe this is where God wants us. This trip has intensified my believe that Micronesia, and Micronesian communities in diaspora, are in need of leaders. From now until the end of the year PIU is dependent on donor giving to meet payroll and pay other essential bills. If God's servants are going to be where they ought to be, it means that others who are likewise where they ought to be need to partner with them. 
I'm thankful for those of you who partner with us in this endeavor, both those who direct support to us, and those who support the school directly. We look forward to giving thanks for what God will do through you to meet this year-end need.
Have a great Thanksgiving. 

Instead of getting up at 3:00 AM, you could sleep in on Black Friday. Send your money to PIU instead. Here is the link, https://piu.edu/welcome-to-the-piu-donation-page/.

By the way, I'll probably make one more post in this series, mostly pictures.

Be where you ought to be, doing what you ought to do, & have a great Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment